!-- NAVIGATION BAR BEGINS HERE -->
Note: If you discover a link on this page no longer active, please let use know.
Vexillological Associations and Websites
The World of Vexillology, the study of flags, is worldwide, and most countries have dedicated groups of vexillologist who meet either electronically or in person to study and share knowledge with each other. The size and activities of these groups vary, but participation is usually quite rewarding. If you have an interest in flags we encourage you the find and join a group that shares your interest, but be warned, vexillology can get rather habit forming. Most groups have annual conference and events, and they provide opportunities to see and share the rich heritage and historical contexts of flags and ensigns. To paraphrase: "Flags are the shorthand of history."
Partial List of Vexillological Associations: (websites may not be in English)
Partial List of Vexillological Blogs and Chat sites:
- ACV - Associació Catalana de Vexillología - Spain (Catalonia)
- CBFA - Chesapeake Bay Flag Association - USA (East Coast)
- CEBED - Centre Belgo-Européen d'Études des Drapeaux - Belgium
- CIDEC - Fundación Centro Interdisciplinario de Estudios Culturales - Argentina
- CISV - Centro Italiano Studi Vessillologici - Italy
- DGF - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Flaggenkunde e.V. - Germany
- FI - The Flag Institute - United Kingdom
- FIAV - International Federation of Vexillological Associations (International)
- FSA - Flag Society of Australia Inc. - Australia
- GWAV - Great Waters Association of Vexillology - USA (Great Lakes)
- HGZD - Croatian Heraldic & Vexillologic Association - Croatia
- KVV - Kevarzhe Vannielouriezh Vreizh - Société bretonne de vexillologie - France (Brittany)
- NAVA - North American Vexillological Association - Canada, Mexico, and USA
- NEVA - New England Vexillological Association - USA (New England)
- NF - Nordisk Flaggselskap - Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden
- NFF - National Flag Foundation - USA
- PH - Partioheraldikot r.y. - Finland
- RCFG - "Vexilographia" - Russian Center of Vexillology and Heraldry - Russia
- SAVA - The Southern African Vexillological Association - Southern Africa
- SEV - Sociedad Española de Vexilología - Spain
- SSV - Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Fahnen- und Flaggenkunde - Société Suisse de - Società Svizzera di Vessillologia - Switzerland
- VK - Vexilologický Klub - Czech Republic
Partial List of Important Vexillological Websites:
- Flags Forum - A forum dedicated to discussions on flags and heraldry.
- Flags of the World on FaceBook - A place for vexillologists to socialize.
Also see: Other Flag History Websites To Visit (bottom left column)
- Flags of the World - FOTW is the largest public database of flags on the Internet with 52,000 pages about flags and contains more than 97,000 images of flags of countries, organizations, states, territories, districts and cities, both past and present.
- The North American Vexillological Association - NAVA is the largest flag study organization in the world. It's website is kept up-to-date and covers a wide range of flag information and sources.
- The Flag Research Center - The FRC was founded in 1962 by Dr. Whitney Smith, a non-profit public-private organization dedicated to conserving, preserving, restoring, exhibiting, studying, documenting, and teaching and learning about flags and flag related images and artifacts throughout history. It is the world's oldest institution dedicated to interdisciplinary research on all aspects of flags, flag histories, and flag usage. Unfortunately since his death, both The Flag Bulletin (the oldest journal in vexillology first published in 1962), and the FRC website have remained in limbo, but promising to be reactivated in 2020. It is worth occasionally visiting in hopes of actual resurrection.
- The Zaricor Flag Collection - The ZFC is the largest private collection of United States and American flags in the world. It also contains many important foreign flags. The collection is used for research, exhibition and educational purposes.
We try and keep this list as updated as possible, please e-mail if you know of websites, addresses, or groups not listed.
| Return to Main Page |