!-- NAVIGATION BAR BEGINS HERE -->
Note: If you discover a link on this page no longer active, please let use know.
Vexillological Associations and Websites
The World of Vexillology, the study of flags, is worldwide, and most countries have dedicated groups of vexillologist who meet either electronically or in person to study and share knowledge with each other. The size and activities of these groups vary, but participation is usually quite rewarding. If you have an interest in flags we encourage you the find and join a group that shares your interest, but be warned, vexillology can get rather habit forming. Most groups have annual conference and events, and they provide opportunities to see and share the rich heritage and historical contexts of flags and ensigns. To paraphrase: "Flags are the shorthand of history."
Partial List of Vexillological Associations: (websites may not be in English)
Partial List of Vexillological Blogs and Chat sites:
- ACV - Associació Catalana de Vexil.lología - Spain (Catalonia)
- CBFA - Chesapeake Bay Flag Association - USA (Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia)
- CEBED - Centre Belgo-Européen d'Études des Drapeaux - Belgium
- CIDEC - Fundación Centro Interdisciplinario de Estudios Culturales - Argentina
- CISV - Centro Italiano Studi Vessillologici - Italy
- DGF - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Flaggenkunde e.V. - Germany
- FI - The Flag Institute - United Kingdom
- FIAV - International Federation of Vexillological Associations (largest international group)
(Fédération internationale des associations vexillologiques)
- FSA - Flag Society of Australia Inc. - Australia
- GWAV - Great Waters Association of Vexillology - USA (Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, and Ohio)
- HGZD - Croatian Heraldic & Vexillologic Association - Croatia
- KVV - Kevarzhe Vannielouriezh Vreizh - Société bretonne de vexillologie - France (Brittany)
- NAVA - North American Vexillological Association - Canada, Mexico, and USA
- NEVA - New England Vexillological Association - USA (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont)
- NF - Nordisk Flaggselskap - Norræna Fánafélagið - Nordiska Flaggsällskapet - Pohjoismaiden Lippuseura - Nordisk Flag Selskab - Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden
- NFF - National Flag Foundation - USA
- PH - Partioheraldikot r.y. - Finland
- RCFG - "Vexilographia" - Russian Center of Vexillology and Heraldry - Russia
- SAVA - The Southern African Vexillological Association - Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- SEV - Sociedad Española de Vexilología - Spain
- SSV - Schweizerische Gesellschaft für Fahnen- und Flaggenkunde - Société Suisse de - Società Svizzera di Vessillologia - Switzerland
- VK - Vexilologický Klub - Czech Republic
Partial List of Important Vexillological Websites:
- Flags Forum - A forum dedicated to discussions on flags and heraldry.
- Flags of the World on FaceBook - A place for vexillologists to socialize.
Also see: Other Flag History Websites To Visit (bottom left column)
- Flags of the World - FOTW is the largest public database of flags on the Internet with 52,000 pages about flags and contains more than 97,000 images of flags of countries, organizations, states, territories, districts and cities, both past and present.
- The Flag Research Center - was started by Dr. Whitney Smith as a business, and is now independently run by FRC2 as a source for back issues of The Flag Bulletin. The website has some interesting information about flag history, and a nice write-up on Doctor Ottfried Neubecker.
- Zaricor Flag Collection (ZFC) - The ZFC is the largest private collection of United States and American flags in the world. It also contains many important foreign flags. The collection is used for research, exhibition and educational purposes.
We try and keep this list as updated as possible, please e-mail if you know of websites, addresses, or groups not listed.
| Return to Main Page |